Friday 2 August 2013

Are we ghosts, wandering until eyes that see, startle our souls…

Meandering through the streets for staples from the local stores I saw the bowed heads. About a 20 years ago when bowed heads were seen it was in reverence, prayer or deep thought. Now it’s the unceasing communication that we subject ourselves to. I too am that kind of self imposed consumer and have to constantly be aware of stepping away from this. It is as if we are hounded by connections by will or otherwise. The new God is in the air and no one is talking to anyone really. When you catch the eyes of a stranger it is almost a cosmic experience.

I see that the life in the eyes of the street man is more alive than the far away look of the bowed heads. So not present, whereas the tramp has humanity so raw, his hunger real. I escape to the trees who do not say any words, their faces present and sap real, these are the ones I lean into. They connect, I connect and for a brief spell amidst the tar and noise I am aware. And I step away carrying the greenery in my face. To carry to the person who sits on the corner and has thanks for the sandwich given.


I bow my head – for the older reason….

No comments:

Post a Comment